A Tribute to Proper Healthcare

I've certainly had my fair share of hospital stays. True it could always be worse, but I'm really all set with spending my time in a hospital bed. I know I'm not the only person who feels that way. Who likes having to spend a day or more on a gurney or an in-patient bed, with an IV off your arm that may or may not have been placed properly, and with limited channels and pretty much nothing good on TV. Oh and chances are if you're there, you're hurting in some way.

All that said, it's pretty damn important to have whole process go smoothly to make the event as comfortable as possible. From the ER receptionist to the triage nurse, from the OR nurse to the anesthesiologist or the MD, from the in-patient nurse (post-op) to the aides. So kudos to the hospitals that can pull this off with medical and non-medical staff and practices and policies that work.

In this case, it was Lowell General Hospital. I have to say the ER was hopping for it being 1:30 in the morning. That considered (and there's fewer staff at that hour,) I was triaged fairly quickly then not much later sent to a room (in the ER.) Of course with kidney stone pain, it felt like days. Many more hours passed before there was a plan, but the nurses were on top of checking in, keeping me informed, and getting the process moving. The only downfall to that department was the nurse who put my IV in. Didn't ask, but I didn't intervene since I thought I'd get meds and go home after making a urology appointment. Nope, I should've stopped her. First of all, my veins are ginormous and my skin is transparent. So, kind nurse, grabbing my right arm and needing to fish around ("veins roll") for a vein that's visible and pinchable (practically) was a little unusual. Also, she placed it so near the bend that I couldn't move my arm without occlusion. Again, she was super sweet, just not a quick study in the IV world. So I dealt with that until about 10:00 in the morning. Maybe a little earlier. I can't remember, but there was a CT scan in there somewhere.

In the OR, waiting to talk to the on-call urologist who had yet to show up (as he was called in with me the emergency,) the nurses were constantly checking on me. I didn't even mind the multiple repetitive questions from each person involved in my care. I certainly didn't expect this place to be next, or at all, but docs didn't like the CT which showed a 5mm stone stuck at the bottom of my ureter. Guess I didn't like it either, nor my body as it led to infection. What I was most concerned about was making sure I wasn't getting a stent as my last experience with that did not go well. When I finally got to talk to my urologist, he was very patient and understanding, but also firm that I needed the stent. My other option was a kidney drain; no thanks. Lithotripsy was sadly out of the question due to the infection. He explained everything to me, he even understood my misgivings. Realizing I really had no choice, and that my doctor was really looking out for my health and made every effort to keep me informed, I had to concede. I also should've called the BFF right away, no cell signal in the OR, but I was taken so quickly and my head was spinning... I dropped that ball. So apologies to the nurses and doctor that had to deal with my fuming hubby. Props to the doc for talking him down nicely. I must've apologized enough to him later, I hope.

I went in, I woke up. I wake up quickly so I got a quick talk with the doc before he called Jess. When he finished (the desk he used was basically at the foot of my bed) I apologized again, both for being resistant at first and for angry hubby. He graciously said Jess was fine and no problem. I knew better, but that's okay. Every point of contact during my 39 hour 'visit' was easy going, helpful, and kind. Of course if you know me, you know I chatted it up with almost everyone. ER doc and I chatted about EMRs, talked with a nurse about her kids schooling, another nurse was the weather, yet another nurse was about his boards. One of the nurses even switched my occluding IV line to the top of my left forearm. I have awesome veins there, and despite that she looked about 18, she stuck it in 2 seconds flat. Perfect relief, and I could use both arms freely.

On the meds: while narcotics are most common for kidney stone patients, I don't do well with them. I requested Toradol, which is like a heavy ibuprofen that doesn't kill your stomach (when taken properly.) Happily, I got it. Check that out! Medical personnel who listen to patients who know their bodies? Refreshing! I'll spare you the details but I was fighting infection and once my bloodwork looked better and my fever was gone, I could go home. The best was getting a visit from my lit'uns and hubby. The in-laws also visiting, which was nice. And the best-best part was a late visit from the BFF where my cribbage comeback was stinky... hehe, yup, I skunked him. Irony was that all those hours spent together in the ER and we barely talked (okay I was hurting) and on the post-op floor we were limited on time since he needed to go to bed, at home. (By the way, lit'uns stayed with my rents.)

So I can't say to make a long story short; it's too late, but it could've been longer. But I can say that (initial IV aside) it was as comfortable as a kidney stone episode could be. Informative doctors and nurses. Quick request response. No resistance when looking to check on things or ask my doctor something. And speedy discharge.

Thank you to all who wished me well, and especially to those who prayed. I do have to deal with a stent but so far it's miles better than 11 years ago, plus the doctor isn't a prick this time. I hope I can make this the road to solving my kidney quarry. I'm really all set with getting further acquainted with the hospital staff, wonderful though they've been. Truly all it takes to make a shitty situation less shitty, is efficient and effective and courteous healthcare from all angles.

No comments:

Post a Comment