Of Mice and Men

There's a mouse in our house... hopefully just one but who knows? We keep finding chewed up utensils in one of the drawers and haven't had time to buy and set any traps. Maybe tomorrow. Oh tomorrow... how I long for thee... (insert music: Somedaaayyyyy....)

Ahem, yes well... As I sit here trying to rid my mind of some children's song and not think about the mess of books and toys left out in the living room, I have to mention the success of this weekend. My brother and I pulled off quite the trick getting a surprise party together for my dad's 70th and getting him up here from Texas without either parent knowing. *Mischief Managed!* We were very happy about that. It was a very busy Saturday in fact. I broke my baby toe (likely but not confirmed beyond a black joint), kicked the rents out of the house with the kids, finished a huge Italian dinner my mama started, decorated, welcomed guests, helped break-up/avoid WWIII when it came to parking and certain egos vs neighbors, surprised the crappola out of the rents, balanced socializing with running the party, and got the kids home for bed... and I did it all with the help of my BFF! He really is the best husband in the world.

Okay, cheesy moment warning: It doesn't take a compassionate woman to recognize the hard work of a loving man. I'm proof since I'm about as cold-hearted and discompassionate as one can get at times. When I'm emotional at all it's irrational. Girly? Not me baby! Cards, anniversary dates and birthdays, special momentos and tender details... Blah! I'm just not good at that stuff and it's so not on my priority list. I listened to some co-workers bitching about their husbands the other day and thought, Wow, Jess isn't like that at all, and if he did any of those things he'd have good reason and I wouldn't rag on him for it. Another girl was bitching because the flowers she got were all wrong and stupid and blahblahblah... Really? Aren't you dumped yet? If you can't appreciate the effort someone extends to you then get out of that relationship! I got a FB message on my wall along the lines of, "blah blah, mushy stuff, I luv you." Now that's the best V-Day message for me.

While we're on the subject, I'll throw the big vent out there. People spend recockulous amounts of their paychecks on flowers, cards, candy, and whatever else and all to say "I love you." But what's the real message? Are we only in love once a year, spending the rest in a rat race of work, bills, home repair or what-have-you? I'm not saying this gesture of over-spending on Hallmark-worded love notes should extend throughout the year, yet for many it does. I'm saying let's not belittle the love we have for each other by exonerating the American holiday because someone in media says so. Let's exonerate love as it was meant to be. My husband runs our little maze day in and day out, night in and night out, running himself dry for the sake of our family's well-being. We see each other about once a week, which is way more than families in the military with loved ones deployed overseas. We hardly communicate and when we do it's (unfortunately) misinterpreted or lost. We're broke, broken, tired, tried, run down, run over, but we've got something no amount of money or rest or anything else could ever offer. We've got devotion to each other, love for the person each of us is inside. Jesse is my best friend because, well, who else would put up with me, but really because he knows me and doesn't have to impress me or shower me with stereotyped gifts I'll never want or use. We're not cover models carrying around brand-name garbage at over-priced mark-ups for the sake of looking good. We look horrible for the sake of getting done what needs getting done in life. Each day I choose to love him and each day I'm never, ever disappointed.

Hey Hallmark, put that in your hat and chew hard. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment