Techno Addict

Yes, it's entirely true. I am addicted to technology. Have you seen me? My BFF might describe me as brown haired and slumped over. My common quote might be, "One sec, lemme finish this thought." Alas, there is no thought that ever completes itself in my mind. Hypographia I say!

Regardless, I write tonight on the most recent outposts of my addiction. I was recently introduced to yet another wonderful iPhone App, Words with Friends. It's basically scrabble for the iPhone. I got it, set up my account (2-3 seconds), and invited Jesse to play. Two and a half days later we're still playing. Okay it's two games later too, but it's fun. I love playing with letters and arranging words and... ahem, I am a writer. This should be obvious. So maybe Jess got a little jaded by my kicking his butt, although he came back a bit last game. Anyway he suggested I add Chess with Friends. I assume it's because he wanted to beat me at a game. So far so good... for me surprisingly. Chess isn't my forte.

Look at that! I've rambled on about two stinking games. Goes to show it's all that's occupied me for the last couple days. Why is the world (Yes, I skipped from me to the whole friggin' world, deal...) so obsessed with technology. I don't mean the broad spectrum from better cars or faster communication. I mean specifically the things that draw our eyes, occupy our every waking hour, drench our minds with information so that we can barely retain it all. Facebook, Twitter, blogs, texting... You name it. We're addicted as a society. Yes I'm dragging you into this. Okay, there's plenty of people who aren't into it as much. (psst, they're mostly of the previous generations...) What person under the age of 40 doesn't text. Extreme few that I know. Who still doesn't have a Facebook account? Not many. And really, we sit around sometimes and complain there's nothing to do. We go online, on our phones or laptops or desktops and we update our status to something along the lines of (Ooh Lemony Snickets flashback!) "Bored. At work. Working until..." Really, have we such an attachment that we can't think without having to share it or laugh to ourselves and not tell the world? Could we possibly put the keyboards away for just a couple days and...

Hey! What was that crazy talk?! It's after midnight now and I need to check FB and hit the hay. Honestly! I writer talking about putting away the keyboard. Sheesh! According to the web these episodes should remain infrequent and subside with continued reading of others' posts. I have to go stalk a few people and update my status. Plus I have a chess game to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment